hamptons local events, express news group

Story - News

Sep 25, 2019 10:00 AMPublication: The Southampton Press

Woman Who Shot Flanders Boyfriend Posts $500,000 Bond

Sep 25, 2019 10:00 AM

A woman facing two felony charges in connection with the shooting of her estranged boyfriend at a Flanders home on September 5 was released from Suffolk County Jail, less than a week after the incident occurred, after posting $500,000 bond.

Patchita Tennant, 42, of Riverhead shot her boyfriend, Andrew Mitchell, 46, of Flanders, during a domestic dispute on the evening of September 5, according to Southampton Town Police.

Ms. Tennant then fled the area with her 3-year-old daughter, police said, only to leave her with a family member and then turn herself in the next day.

She faces charges of first-degree assault and criminal use of a firearm, both felonies, to which she pleaded not guilty. Through her Riverhead-based attorney, Austin Manghan, she has claimed the shooting was in self-defense and came after years of abuse.

During her arraignment on September 7, Southampton Town Justice Barbara Wilson had Ms. Tennant held in lieu of $125,000 cash bail for each count — a total of $250,000 — or $250,000 bond for each count, totaling $500,000.

On Tuesday, September 10, Ms. Tennant, an employee of the CVS Pharmacy on Pantigo Lane in East Hampton, was able to post bail with the help of family and friends.

“She has a lot of resources in the community, and her family,” Mr. Manghan said on Tuesday. “I don’t know the specifics of this particular bond, but it involves cash and property. I know she has so many people looking to help her out.”

Once the bond was posted, Mr. Manghan said he waived a speedy trial so that he and Ms. Tennant can build a good defense, and so that the process is not rushed.

Mr. Manghan also said his client will be in court just about every month, even though a trial may not occur right away.

“This process is so stressful to anybody, even to someone who maintains they are absolutely innocent,” he said. “It’s such a long process. There’s no guarantees in this process, and there’s a lot of work to be done.”

Since posting bail, Mr. Manghan said, not much has happened with the case other than communicating back and forth with his client.

The best way to compare what Ms. Tennant is going through, he said, is to liken it to when someone gets pulled over — many people panic, even though they know they did not do anything wrong.

“It’s a long, drawn-out version of that,” Mr. Mangan said. “She’s upset that this ever happened.”

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in